Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Overseas Lessons # 1: Pack light etc.

My work here in Saudi is my first ever overseas deployment. Being excited and all that, I forgot the basic rules of travelling... packing light. I think my baggage with the capacity of 20kg was loaded with so much clothes. I brought with me tons of pajamas, t shirts, 3 pairs of jeans, one slacks, 7 blouses, 3 dresses... and the list goes on and on! As if I were to permanently transfer my residence here! So for all those who are going abroad, i think it's better to just bring maybe 3 pairs of daily wears and one pair of jeans, maybe a couple of tops because eventually you will find yourself buying so much clothes for your wardrobe. And unlikely, here in KSA, women are not allowed to go out without the abaya. I'll tell you a secret! During lazy days, i'm only wearing pj's underneath! No one notices anyway! ^_^

One major thing that I disregarded was the uniform! Back in the Philippines, the receptionist in the agency assured me that when I landed here, the hospital would sponsor the uniform. To my dismay, they sponsored only one pair! Good thing, my future mother in law was glad to borrow from someone and another thing is that the uniforms here in Saudi is tailored double the size of the person. But you could request by submitting a letter to the general manager which would eventually take time and too much questioning and waiting maybe a couple of months so there! So to all those nurses who are destined to go not only here but anywhere, might as well invest even on two pairs of uniform. What kind? Long sleeves top and pants. It's better if you ask the tailor to put the buttons not in the middle but on the sides so that when weight gain strike, nothing will peep out and you will not submerge yourselves to perversity.

So remember! Pack light! ^_^

1 comment: